The drill is a machine to drive fasteners or forming holes. Here all of the below drills are best drill presses (aka pillar drill or pedestal drill) that refer to the function of drilling round holes. If you’re seeking to buy the best drill machine, you may want to look over all of these items.
10 Best Drill Presses Comparison Table
Speeds range (RPM)
SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp
Craftsman 10" Bench Drill Press
355 to 3065
Shop Fox W1668
250 to 3050
Grizzly Industrial G7945-34"
550 to 3470
SE 3-Speed Mini Drill Press Bench
5k to 8k
JET J-2530 15-Inch
1. WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press
WEN has quite loads of positive responses from the users in recent years. It’s because the company produces top-quality drill presses and make these available at a reasonable price — one more item titled WEN 4208 8 in. 5-Speed Drill Press adds to their lineup. It provides the buyer with many good qualities like key storage, decent key chuck, and robust motor.
- Runs by a heavy motor that can produce 1/3 HP to cover almost every need of a drill press user.
- Features onboard storage for keys so that you never lose the essential key.
- Provides extraordinary stability even during heavy tasks through the sturdy cast-iron bottom.
- Has the familiar JT33 spindle taper that can program with key chucks of 1/2 inch in diameter or more.
What We Like
The induction motor with the 1/3 horsepower is sufficient to do all drill pressing tasks correctly. An induction engine is also rugged, which aids the motor to survive in any environmental condition. As there is no brush, the induction motor doesn't demand extraordinary maintenance.
For different purposes of a drill press, you need to modify the spindle travel. Sometimes people want to limit it. With the locking depth adjustment, you can do so. It allows the user to set a limit of spindle travel for an accurate drilling task.
What We Do Not Like
The unit from WEN has issues with the base. It is not a perfectly flat base. As a result, users are getting troubled while drilling some heavy substances.
The motor of the drill press has 120 volts and 60 Hz of energy to run. It’s a plus considering the low price of the product. The height adjustability is one more great thing about the item. It also contains five kinds of speed alternatives. Overall, the drill press is an exciting package.
2. WEN 4210T 10 In. Drill Press
WEN 4210T 10 In. Drill Press is the right choice if you are looking for a complete package of the drill press. The machine provides adequate power for every application with the induction motor. The spindle traveling doesn’t make a single trouble to read. Apart from these qualities, the power hand tool brings laser, assembly tools, and keyed chuck along with the drill press.
- Allows users to modify the RPM of the speed that has a range from 600 to 3100.
- Powers by a durable and hefty 3.2-amp motor to supply an adequate amount of power and torque for different tasks.
- Lightens the work area by a top-quality on-board light to remove issues regarding visibility.
- Includes extra tools like laser and keys for preventing delay in your precious job.
What We Like
The speed choosing option is one of the most demanded features of a drill press. The machine contains not one or two but five speed alternates to choose from, thanks to WEN. Not every drill pressing task requires top speed. You will have the freedom to alter the pace between 600 to 3100.
A work table doesn't stay at the proper place every time. As a result, people need to adjust it, which is unfortunately not available in other machines. In this tool, you can luckily do it. You are free to bevel the table on the right or left side 45 degrees.
What We Do Not Like
The Wen tool doesn't offer a decent start capacitor with the drill press. For this reason, many of the purchasers faced issues that are related to the capacitor.
Many drill press tools take forever to install. In this case, the machine is going to take hardly half an hour to assemble. Users can do the task in 20 minutes only. Ensure the tool is appropriately leveled. After that, you can start enjoying durable energy and 3100 RPM of speed with ease.
3. WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press
3100 RPM of variable speed is not enough, is it? Well, the WEN 4214 12-Inch Variable Speed Drill Press will be offering you 3200 RPM. How about that? There is no need to worry while altering the number of speeds. An LED readout will confirm the speed this machine is running. The diameter of the quill is around 2.17 inches that are sufficient.
- Covers a wide range of speeds which begins from 580 to 3200 RPM
- Contains a solid and sturdy 9-1/2 x 9-1/2 inches work table for maximum heavy output
- Features a decent-sized quill of 2.17 inches in diameter to cut through tough substances
- Has top-end spindle travel of 3-1/8 inches that allows users to read it easily
What We Like
The drill press table is one of the vital parts of a drill press. Here in the WEN machine, you can bevel it and also modify the highness of the work table. The familiar rack and pinion adjustment make the height choosing procedure super simple. A bevel of 45 degrees on either side is available too.
Some cheap drill press producing companies can't supply high-quality material base in their products. They should understand the significance of a base in the drill press. Here, WEN employees were wise to choose the cast iron base. It prevents unwanted shakiness during work.
What We Do Not Like
Several customers receive complaints regarding the motor and speed adjustment. The main point of trouble was the WEN service. They sometimes act as nothing exists like customer care.
Things like mechanical variable speed, drill press, assembly tools, and table roller extension will arrive in the package. Class III laser is available too for an accurate hole in every task. 2/3 horsepower motor can arrange the amount of torque you require. Overall, it’s one of the best WEN drill presses.
4. SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press
SKIL 3320-01 3.2 Amp 10-Inch Drill Press is a whole deal. You won't notice the absence of a single feature that should be in a drill press. It has a bevelling work area. Five numbers of speeds are present to function with. The X2 laser performs to make sure you are making hole how much it needs to be.
- Ensures accurate alignment when you drill a hole by laser X2 2-beam laser
- Comes with the depth stop with adjustability feature to make sure repetitive drill and precise measurement
- Supplies required amount of speed for every individual task with speed options from 570 - 3,050 RPM
- Contains the bump off switch for preventing risks regarding drilling actions
What We Like
One of the most impressive pluses of the drill press is its laser system. The X2 laser of 2 beams lets you be more precise than before on drilling a hole every time. The alignment will get perfection with laser technology.
For woodworking jobs, you must arrange a huge bit. However, some drill presses can't hold long bits because of the insufficient size of the keyed chuck. The SKIL drill press contains 1/2 inches of a keyed chuck. It is enough to accommodate even the largest bit out there.
What We Do Not Like
Unlike most drill presses on the market, this one has a base that is made of cast aluminum. It’s good but not a proper choice when there is massive pressure because of tightening screws.
The machine is a beast in terms of light and medium-heavy tasks. The most cumbersome job may result in a hot motor, but that’s a common scenario for every drill press. The structure of the hand tool is well built. SKIL drill machine comes in a small size. Nonetheless, the product is quite sturdy.
5. Shop Fox W1668 ¾-HP 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press
Among drill press benchtops, Shop Fox W1668 ¾-HP 13-Inch Bench-Top Drill Press is one of the most powerful ones. A robust motor to deliver 1725 RPM is there. The minimum spindle speed is 250, where the maximum hits near 3050 RPM. The swing of the machine is 13-¼ inch. Does your job demand power? Then go for it.
- Offers two different structured drill presses that are benchtop version and floor version
- Has one of the most speed options on the market that range from 250 to 3,050 RPM
- Serves by a robust motor of 3/4 HP and 110-Volt for the supply of maximum energy
- Doesn't require much expertise to assemble the machine and every part fits properly
What We Like
Though the machine may not possess the most power, it runs by a 3/4 HP engine. The motor RPM is near 1725 RPM, where the spindle speed is 3050 RPM maximum. Thereupon the drill press can handle plenty of drill pressing jobs quite well.
Unlike traditional drill presses, the Shop Fox tool is capable of serving as a sanding machine. The user won't even feel the necessity of a single tool as it can be converted into a sanding tool. The sanding drum kit is included in the box. Oscillation is present in the tool for a smooth operation.
What We Do Not Like
The mighty motor can't control itself from producing high noises. Vibration is another issue with the engine. You won't be able to give your best when the surrounding area is not free of things like vibration and sound.
The drill has a heavyweight. Nevertheless, you will rarely find a drill press as accurate as this one. In the package, you will see a sandar drum kit. It means you won't get a sanding attachment separately, which is a money saver. Every control of the machine is free of troublesome function. Fitting the drill press takes a short while.
6. HICO 8-Inch Bench Top Drill Press 5 Speed Rotary Tool Work Station
HICO 8-Inch Bench Top Drill Press 5 Speed Rotary Tool Work Station has two variants. One is the 8 inches version, and another one is the 13 inches variant that, of course, costs more. They have a few differences like 13 inches workstation offers more 12 speed settings instead of 5. Natheless both of them power by the same 2/5 horsepower induction motor.
- Features robust worktable of 6-1/2 x 6-1/2 inches for carrying even the hardest elements
- Covers every type of thickness of the material by five settings of speed from 760 to 3070 RPM
- Powered by a decent 2/5 HP induction motor to produce satisfactory torque
- Gives the appropriate highness of the table to the user with a well-built height adjustment mechanism
What We Like
At a reasonable price, the drill press can satisfy users with its output. There are multiple speed options for covering up almost every thick material. The speed setting ranges from 760 to 3070 revolutions per minute. The spindle is capable of traveling 2 inches too.
The machine is going to make you save some bucks. In the package, you will find chuck key and drill press. The most useful thing is the free tools to assemble the drill press.
What We Do Not Like
The drill press from HICO is a decent product in terms of value for money. However, just like every good item, it has a minus as well. The poor construction of the chuck doesn't hold small bits properly.
Much essential features like bevelling and adjustability of the highness are present in the drill press. It weighs only 31.6 pounds that is another plus. The corded drill press is unbeatable at its price range according to most users. The chuck may not be the best, but still, it is quite functional.
7. Powermatic PM2800B 1792800B Drill Press
Powermatic PM2800B 1792800B Drill Press is the tool you want for those extra heavy drilling jobs. It’s a hefty product with countless features. It comes with the modern mechanical variable speed capability. Six inches quill is an adequate component for most jobs. With the drill press, you can begin to do repetitive tasks without a single issue.
- Provides quill travel of 6 inches with only one handle revolution
- Has a fence system that is capable of 90-degree relationship adjustment to the table
- Features a crystal bright monitor to measure and modify the setting of speed RPM
- Doesn't need to alter belt for powering up the machine to the full speed
What We Like
The Powermatic drill press delivers information regarding RPM through a clear display. As a result, the user can adjust the amount of RPM according to his requirement. There are hardly any drill presses who can supply drilling data by a readout.
Different applications demand various numbers of speed. When you’re buying a costly machine like this one, you certainly don't get it to do small jobs. Whenever you want the full speed, there won't be any need for the belt change, thanks to the mechanical variable speed.
What We Do Not Like
The drill press comes with some complaints from the users. Chuck and arbor of the drill press fall off constantly. It’s one of the biggest issues with the Powermatic drill press machine.
The machine is overall a superior quality drill press. As the expense is a lot to purchase, the buyer is going to have the advantage of a bunch of features. By a readout, the item will provide necessary statistics. The laser and work light perform to ensure pinpoint accuracy.
8. Genesis GFDP160 13-Inch 16-Speed Floor Stand Drill Press
Genesis GFDP160 13-Inch 16-Speed Floor Stand Drill Press is one of the best products in the floor stand category. A list of speed settings is super beneficial to supply perfect speed to every job. The chuck can carry even the largest bit you may use in the future. Mandatory wrenches come along with the drill press.
- Ensures the proper height for every kind of drilling task by rack-and-pinion height adjustment
- Features a chuck key of 5/8 inches and necessary wrenches for assembling the tool quickly
- Takes even the largest bit because of the chuck key size
- Runs by 6.6-amp induction motor which can guarantee high performance with smooth and noiseless operation
What We Like
Not 6 or 12 but 16-speed alternatives are available in the magnificent drill press machine. Surely you won't find a single drill pressing application that requires less or more speed than the ones in the tool. Thereby the floor-standing drill press is a suitable choice no matter how many varieties your work contains.
The Genesis product comes with one of the giant chucks on the current drill press market. The size of the key chuck is around 5/8 inches. When you are about to start a heavy task, the large bit won't be a name of trouble for the huge chuck.
What We Do Not Like
According to a few of the customers who tried to get this item, they received damaged or defective products quite many times. The seller has real issues with shipping the drill press in a mint condition.
The heavy-duty item won't hassle to get together entirely. It is more time-saver than a traditional floor standing drill presses during installation. There is not a single negative review about the control and its performance. It is safe to say the purchaser will invest in a product that won't make him regret it.
9. Grizzly Industrial G7943-14" Heavy-Duty Benchtop Drill Press
Grizzly Industrial G7943-14" Heavy-Duty Benchtop Drill Press is a robust and heavy-duty product even though it falls in the benchtop category. The source of the power is a mighty motor of 3/4 horsepower. It can swing 14 inches that is another example of a decent drill press. The tabletop drill press chuck ranges from 3/64 to 5/8 inch for bearing large bits.
- Contains a decent quality work light for cutting hard elements accurately even in low light conditions
- Includes cushion grip with the quill handle for maximum comfy
- Comes with four t slots that are capable of managing clamping kits of 1/2 inches
- Has powder coated finish for a service of decent longevity
What We Like
Let’s talk about how the tool performs in real life. The single-phase induction motor of 3/4 horsepower is quite a perfect one. It helps the machine to do pretty much every drilling work accurately. Moreover, the press can swing 14 inches. A vast number of speed options are also available. These are 140, 260, 320, 380, 480, 540, 980, 1160, 1510, 1650, 2180 and 3050 revolutions per minute respectively.
The unit offers a bunch of extra features. Quill cushion grip handle, lock lever, threaded depth stop, and many more user-friendly features will be present in the drill press.
What We Do Not Like
The Grizzly drill press fails to prevent heavy electrical vibration of the motor. A moderate amount of vibration is fine for a drill press. However, when the limit has been crossed, it’s not easy at all to work comfortably.
It’s not a lightweight drill press, but the precision is up to the mark. Maximum in one hour, a person familiar with drill presses can put every component together. The apparent control won't trouble even a new user. Grizzly was kind enough to use sturdy materials. As a consequence, you may stay free of worry regarding longevity.
10. Small Benchtop Drill Press
Not every potential customer visits the market with the highest budget. Small Benchtop Drill Press from EuroTool is one of the most affordable yet top-grade drill press items. Though the name has the ‘Small’ term, the manufacturer claims that the machine can deal with every drilling project. Let’s take a sneak peek at the features.
- Delivers 8500 RPM of variable speed for heavy-duty business
- Comes with an economical design that is suitable even in a small space
- Made of superior steel to last for years
- Backed by EuroTool 1 year warranty
What We Like
This section will not complete without the mention of the outstanding speed ability of the drill press. There is hardly even an expensive product that can produce 8500 RPM. Yes, the small drill press item can reach that milestone. The manufacturer also states it can surpass the 8500 number as well.
The precision of the drill press is another praiseworthy point. If you are targeting to drill holes in objects like circuit board or jewelry, this product should be your best purchase.
What We Do Not Like
A few online buyers complained the drill press machine stopped after drilling for a while. However, the biggest issue is, it doesn't have a guide to get rid of common problems. It’s rare to see a company like EuroTool didn't provide a troubleshooting instruction.
Nevertheless, the drill press is a wonderful deal costing only a hundred bucks. The user manual will assist the purchaser in making the right decision in every step of assembly. To prevent rust, you will receive the drill with oil. It’s easy to clean. The base of the table drill press is flat too.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Drill Press
Drill presses have two kinds of models. These are, respectively, benchtop variants and floor drill presses. When the application has a large scale, the floor drill press is good. Bench drill press is preferable for medium and light jobs.
The hole requires power. More power is needed when you feel the necessity of a more massive hole than before. A decent amount of energy from the motor will lessen the stress of the bit.
The variable speed of the drill press is another significant thing to consider while buying an item. Expensive high-quality drill presses tend to contain lots of speed options.
The bottom of the machine is a vital part as the drill press may lose control should the base is not strong sufficiently. A cast iron base is one of the best ones.
Additional tools like wrench, key, chuck, assembly accessory are a lifesaver as well as a money saver. Check whether your potential purchase has those tools. You can instantly begin the drilling process because of these quick accessories.
What Is Drill Press Used For?
The primary objective of a drill press, aka drill machine, is to construct holes mainly in hard materials. In the rotating spindle, a drill remains. It holes through the workpiece in the vise. The drilling process contains different situations where it vibrates a lot. Hence the user must arrange or make sure the bottom of the about-to-hole-substance is solid adequately. The chief aim of the drill press is to drill. However, it is also capable of covering some other jobs, which are countersinking, tapping, reaming, and so on. The use of drill press is extending to the world more day by day. Construction, metalworking, woodworking, and numerous other tasks won't get completion without the proper use of a drill press machine.
How To Use Drill Press?
A drill press is the savior of the day when a handheld drill fails miserably. Logically speaking, the drill press is even a safer version of the drilling function than a handheld item. To have the best service out of your drill press, you have to follow a few guidelines. Let’s see them.
1. Parts of the Drill Machine: First things first know every portion of the drill press. So you can alter or turn something off when it requires.
- The tool takes energy from a motor. It can be 3/4 or 1/3 or 1/2 horsepower motor.
- To modify the speed of the tool, you are going to utilize the top gears of the machine.
- Depending on an application, you will feel the need to adjust the height of the table through respective features.
- Lastly, there is the chuck where you have to put a decent size bit. Again the step will require the demand of the job for the correct bit length.
2. Attach the Bit and Proceed: Ensure the substance that is about to get a hole is clamped in a vise. It’s a vital step as you may lose balance, which can lead to a serious injury. Also, there should be a piece of scrap wood under the vise. It will protect the table or whatever material the benchtop product is on. Place the bit into the drill press and drill through whatever substance is there.
3. Taking the Sanding Attachment accordingly: It’s not about drilling all the time, is it? In case of irregular material shape, use the sanding-flap wheel in the chuck. On the other side, drum sander attachment is suitable for the regular shaped workpiece.
4. Be Cautious in case of Metal: Metal burns, you know, right? Don’t boost the speed to the fullest when drilling a metal material. Your bit won't be in a healthy condition should you do so. To be safer than before, drop some cutting oil in the metal before you begin to drill.
Drill Press Vise
One of the crucial components during the drill is undoubtedly the drill press vise. The function of the drill press vice is to clamp the material you will be drilling. It can contain the workpiece to hold it firmly. Some drill press vises come with a locking mechanism for advance level security. A vice is designed with hefty material and a stable structure. While drilling a hard element, the workpiece may get out of its safe zone. It can result in an injurious situation. The bit will lose its track when there is no vise. To properly pierce a substance, a drill vise will be valuable equipment. Apart from helping a drill machine to do its job, the tool can do polishing, sharpening, and sanding.
Drill Press Vs. Mill
When the user is aiming to drill numerous materials, a drill press doesn't come with an alternative. Building holes is what a drill press does best. When the product arrives at your yard, you take the machine inside and assemble it in a while. It’s an incomparable benefit indeed.
Advantages of Drill Press
- The chief objective of the drill press is to create vertical holes in an object; it doesn't matter it is hard or not. Using extra-large bits, it is a matter of a second to make long holes.
- A drill press machine is a great product to perfect the vertical z-axis hole.
- Installation of drill presses is not a time-consuming process. Furthermore, it’s also simpler to work with compared the milling machine.
Disadvantages of Drill Press
1. Unfortunately, drill items have expertise in only one sector, drilling. As a result, the product is not a versatile power tool.
Unlike a drill press unit, the milling machines cut specific portions by its rotary cutter. You will be amazed to know that the power tool is also capable of doing what a drill press does. It’s a little expensive, but considering its vast range of features, the milling machine is a decent product.
Advantages of Milling Machine
- One of the all-rounder power tools has to be a milling machine. From placing a precise hole and milling to drilling, it handles pretty much all of those milling workloads.
- The milling tool comes with a rotary cutter. It can remove almost any object from a specific material.
- Lots of lightweight milling machines are available on the market. They weigh less than most drill presses.
Disadvantages of Milling Machine
1. More features come at the cost of a budget-friendly expense. The cost of milling machines is higher than drill presses.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to remove drill press chuck?
Manage a chuck removal tool and insert it to the window of the spindle. Farther into the place, keep hammering the tool slowly. Eventually, the chuck will fall off the drill press. Ensure the table is close enough so that the chuck won't damage.
What is the drill press swing?
Drill press swing is the result of a measurement. It measures from the place of a bit to the pole holding a drill press upright. This particular distance gets multiplied by 2. The answer to the equation is the drill press swing.
What size drill press do I need?
If your work contains substances that are 14 inches tall or more, the floor-standing drill press is the correct choice. In other cases, a benchtop will be sufficient.
How much does a drill press cost?
Various drill presses with less or more features come at different cost ranges. The starting price of a drill press is around $80. The maximum expense will exceed $1500.
Can you use a drill press as a mill?
Drill press will fail to take the side load as it doesn't have the suitable bearings. Also, a milling machine is quite a rigid one. It’s a different case for the drill press. Thereupon it is not recommended.
What is drill press runout?
During the rotation of a drill bit, it wobbles due to the stress of drilling. It is known as drill press runout. To measure it, a dial indicator can be helpful.
How much is a drill press worth?
A drill press is worth considering multiple factors, including horsepower, model type, depth stop, swing ability, speed, and other features. The price of a drill press begins from 80 bucks.
What drill press to buy/Which drill press to buy?
At first, determine the points you demand from a drill press. Taking aid from the buying guide above will make you do so. At your budget, you will hopefully find the right power tool from the above top ten items.
Are drill press bits different?
Yes, drill press bits are indeed different. For each type of substance, you require a unique drill bit. Several universal bits can work with any material. Those are known as universal bits.
Can a drill press be used as a drum sander?
Yes, drill presses are capable of working as a drum sander. To make it happen, you have to integrate your tool with a drum sander kit. Get the attachment from sites like Amazon, and you are good to go.
Can a drill press be used as a lathe?
If you are in a hurry, yes, you can turn your drill press into a lathe. Using a bunch of bolts and nuts will do the job. Search on YouTube to watch the drill press to lathe tutorial.
Can a drill press be used as a mortiser?
Mortiser can create decent square holes. To use a drill press as the mortiser, you arrange the suitable mortiser kit for the drill press. Then you are all set to drill square holes in materials.
Can a drill press be used as a router?
Yes, the drill press can convert itself to a router, but it’s not a recommended action by experts. Drill press bearings are made for thrust-loading where router ones are appropriate for axial loading. Using a drill press as a router will result in fast wear out of the bearing.
How much hp for drill press?
The ideal range of the motor horsepower is from 1/2 to 3/4 HP. Should you select a drill press with a motor that has horsepower from that range, it will pretty much handle every type of project.
Among power and hand tools, the drill press is one of the most famous units. In every minute, workers around the world are drilling holes in numerous work pieces. Assuming you’re here for getting a drill, check out those top 10 deals on drill presses. Every product of the list is one of the best drill presses. All a reader has to do is to go with the one which matches his budget. Look around the buying guide for acquiring a little bit of expertise on the drill press field. The drill press reviews will keep you on the track to win the best drilling machine.