The impact driver is a famous power tool dedicated to driving screws or bolts through the rotational strike. Nowadays, people are not interested in using drills only. The number of impact driver users is increasing rapidly as an impact driver can drive more precisely than a drill. Despite the fact that it is useful, people are failing to have the best at their budget. There are countless factors to consider so that you can get the best impact driver. Below, top impact driver reviews are going to make you own the best tool. Buying guide with frequently asked queries will take you out of every confusion.
1. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Impact Driver
BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Impact Driver is one of those products that doesn't weigh much, despite being a heavy-duty gear. The lightweight of the machine doesn't refer to its weakness. The tool can produce 1375 in-lbs of maximum torque with ease. Moreover, essential components like impact driver screwdriver bit, 20v max battery, BDCI202, and charger arrive along with the product.
- Contains the impact driver 1/4 inches hex bit change of quick release for maximum usability
- Comes with variable speed systems which are 0-3000 RPM, and 0-39000 BPM
- Features the lithium-ion battery to ensure the machine doesn't stop all of a sudden in the middle of an important task
- Ensures value of your money with required features and additional accessories for impact driver
What we like
- There are plenty of positives in the machine. One of them has to be the hefty output of the impact driver. Producing 1375 in-lbs is no joke.
- Another of its features is the powerful 20 volts battery. These days you don't get that much heavy-duty powerhouse in a budget impact driver.
What we don’t like
- The overall build quality of the product is not great. As a consequence, many buyers complained about it be stopped working.
- At a low budget, this cheap impact driver is unbeatable. As you’re receiving an excellent driver at the cheapest impact driver price tag possible, being a little bit more careful during use will confirm a pleasant experience. Hex chuck, high performance, and lightweight make it a good value impact driver.
2. DEWALT DG5121 Heavy-Duty Impact Driver
DEWALT DG5121 Heavy-Duty Impact Driver is a balanced tool because of its angled holster. Users are surely going to love the comfort while holding the product. The build quality of the driver is durable. Ballistic poly material ensured so. Five ounces of the item weight makes it easy to maintain and carry around.
- Prevents unwanted injuries with quick release buckle and adjustable strap
- Offers a super low price for people who are on a low budget
- Lasts for years as it is made of top-grade poly material
- Contains elastic loop that may store chuck key, drivers, bits and so on
What we like
- Firstly, the maneuverability and usability of the drill are too good, thanks to angled holster and adjustable strap. It allows users to deal with his task for a long time.
- Secondly, the extra storage (pockets) is a big advantage. You do not have to carry accessories like keys and bits in hands that may occur injury. No need for an additional bag as well that would cost a few bucks.
What we don’t like
- 20V impact is not a suitable one for the machine. Users faced difficulties while fitting it.
- Overall, the holster driver is a decent value tool featuring many impressive attributes. At a reasonable price, there won't be many worries about its longevity. The user can use it with small to medium electric screwdrivers and full-size drills. Though the side pocket is little, it is proved to be effective for most of the purchasers.
3. Milwaukee 2853-20 M18 FUEL 1/4" Hex Impact Driver
To work in those narrow spaces, there is no better impact driver than the Milwaukee 2853-20 M18 FUEL 1/4" Hex Impact Driver. 4.59 inches in length will do the job correctly. It’s not one of those 6th generation drills. Thereupon, on the collar, you won't have to push down.
- Powered by a brushless motor that promises to supply 30 percent more drive speed
- Contains hard plastic body and non-slip handle to better productivity
- Weighs near 3.4 pounds that make the moving process easy with the drill
- Delivers torque of 2000 inch-pounds which is more than sufficient to drive metal impact driver screws
What we like
- It won't be fair to ignore the fact that it has an incredible brushless motor. You will receive higher torque to weight ratio because of it. The motor also doesn't require much maintenance. Hence it will offer service of an extensive period.
- The lightweight, comfy handle, and body are notable features of the driver.
What we don’t like
- Sometimes the chuck fails to retain the bits. It is annoying, especially when you are in the middle of an almost-finished job
- The impact driver is a decent one with pluses like compact length and many types of driver control. It also contains the popular and energy-saving motor called brushless motor. It is aimed to enhance productivity. Overall, at this cost range, it is one of the best impact of driving machines.
4. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver
DEWALT is one of those impact driver brands that people don't forget to consider. Another great addition to the DEWALT impact driver lineup is the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver. It is packed with several essential characteristics that impact drivers should possess. There is a speed modification option with an LED light facility for improved performance of the 20v impact driver dewalt.
- Comes with a built-in LED light to assist you to see the target when it is dark
- Supplies ample amount of power as the limit of the torque is 2000 in-lb
- Backed by three years of DEWALT limited warranty
- Prevents ionizing sparks as the motor is a brushless one
What we like
- DEWALT is an appropriate choice in your priority is a compact drill tool. The dewalt xr impact driver is not more than 2 pounds. Consequently, your hands won't feel tired after a short time of use.
- LED lights are useful for an impact drill, mostly in tight places. Also, when there is a lacking of light, illuminate the built-in feature to ensure perfection in your driving large fasteners.
What we don’t like
- It is a shame that such a wonderful and all-rounder brushless impact driver dewalt doesn't come with charger and battery. Although you can purchase these necessary accessories separately, you must gather some bucks to do so.
- Other than containing the battery and charger, this impact drill is an excellent item to complete fastening and bolt removing jobs. Speed trigger offers many options to choose from. The lightweight structure is suitable for carrying tasks with ease.
5. Makita CT225R 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Compact Cordless 2-Pc. Combo
Makita CT225R 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Compact Cordless 2-Pc. The combo has so many things to offer. 4 pole motor is exclusively made by Makita. Thereby it’s more optimized than it was in the past to boost the performance. The RPM range of the drill is 0-400 and 0-1,500. Let’s take a sneak peek of the key features.
- Has an excellent battery that recharges fast and delivers power for a long time
- Comes with a variable speed driver which can supply 1460 inch-pounds of maximum torque
- Made with a cordless structure to ensure portability of the impact driver
- Includes a lightweight driver of 3.3 pounds only that can deal with heavy-duty tasks too
What we like
- The kit has everything a tool seeker requires. A driver-drill (0-600 and 0-1,900 RPM) is there for maximum output. The impact driver, on the other side, contains variable speed from 0 to 2,900 RPM and from 0 to 3,500 IPM.
- The battery of the package is star protected exclusively by Makita. It prevents overheating, over-discharging, and overloading.
What we don’t like
- While using the drill, be careful not to let the machine get too hot. There is a chance for the system to get burnt. Giving it rest in the middle of each task won't let the issue happen.
- The impact driver and drill both are incredible that you get in the combo pack. They are capable of producing 0-2,300 RPM, 0-3,200 IPM and 0-400, 0-1,500 RPM respectively. The battery is one more plus of the product. It offers long runtime, fast recharge, and vast compatibility.
6. Makita XDT131 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Impact Driver
Among impacts driver kits, Makita XDT131 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Impact Driver is a decent choice. The cordless impact driver features a drill that runs using the eco-friendly brushless motor. The motor systems automatically to provide the best RPM and torque for a particular application. Some notable features are mentioned below.
- Matches RPM and torque accordingly thanks to the brushless motor controlled by electricity
- Delivers around 1500 inches pounds torque maximum for all those rough and tough tasks
- Contains various options of variable speed that can be used for many fastening applications
- Doesn't weigh much yet the driver has several features like the light one
What we like
- At first, the BL brushless motor is suitable for saving energy as well as work for numerous hours. It can remove carbon brushes that result in a cold situation of the motor.
- One more thing that shouldn't go unmentioned is the battery efficiency. Makita once again did a magnificent job to ensure proper battery optimization. Thereby you will get 50 percent more battery backup in impact driver makita than conventional impact driver batteries.
What we don’t like
- The variable speed technology of the product doesn't offer the best control to the user. Without having full control over the speed, it is a troublesome job to get desired results.
- If you’re thinking of getting an impact driver, which may save some bucks, go for this one. Its energy-efficient motor saves ample amount of power and gives a magnificent output at the same time. One thousand five hundred inch-pounds of torque shouldn't be less than your requirement. The product comes along with a bag where you can fit it even during recharge.
7. Milwaukee 2462-20 M12 1/4 Inch Hex Shank 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver
Impact drivers are unable to show the battery information in most cases. Milwaukee 2462-20 M12 1/4 Inch Hex Shank 12 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver is not one of them. It has a fuel gauge that is there to indicate the remaining charge of the battery. It has so many other beneficial features as well. Take a look at them.
- Features an ambidextrous belt clip for allowing right and left-hand convenience
- Has compatibility with a wide range of impact driver milwaukee batteries including 48-11-2420 and 48-11-2430
- Comes with the built-in LED indicator for letting you know the remaining battery charge
- Produces near 1000 inch-pounds that are protected by red lithium technology
What we like
- The redlithium technology contacts the battery to enable cross-communication. For this reason, the motor doesn't receive more energy than it requires. It’s there for efficient consumption of energy. The technology reduces the chances of overheating too.
- Not all impact drivers contain the ambidextrous belt clip. It eliminates the trouble of using an impact drill with only one hand. When you’re right hand is exhausted, shift to your other hand for boosting the speed of your work.
What we don’t like
- Sometimes the driver is unable to provide 1000 inch-pounds of torque. The absence of little torque makes it hard to unfasten bolts and fasteners.
- The driver can run with every battery that belongs to the M12 lineup. It’s an advantage if you have an existing battery as you don't have to get it separately. A technology called redlithium doesn't heat the powerhouse more than it can bear.
8. Ryobi One+ P236 18V 1/4 Inch 3,200 RPM 1,600 Inch Pounds Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver
Ryobi is a name of trust when it is about power and hand tools. One of its most sold impact drivers is the Ryobi One+ P236 18V 1/4 Inch 3,200 RPM 1,600 Inch Pounds Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver. Impact driver Ryobi has vital features like the magnetic tray and LED lighting for fastening bolts super easily and quickly.
- Requires no tools whatsoever to charge the impact driver as plugging the impact driver extension bit into the chuck does the job
- Contains tri beam LED lights for identifying the target of the fastener clearly
- Compatible with every 18V Ryobi battery which is NiCad and lithium-ion
- Has a spacious magnetic tray to hold bits and bolts so you can use your hands for other purposes
What we like
- One of the significant features of the impact driver cordless has to be the handle group comfy usability. In the Ryobi One, you will have a notched mold grip. It won't let your hands tremble, which will enhance your accuracy like never before.
- Detaching screws is not a troublesome job, not anymore with the tool. The smooth trigger works instantly, which makes sure the depth of the drive is error-free.
What we don’t like
- While using the drill for a little massive job, it sometimes makes a loud sound, which is annoying and discouraging. Although the case is not a familiar one, it’s not possible to sit around and work when the machine is producing noise.
- Holding impact drivers for a while is never a welcoming task. However, when there is a rubber overmold like in the Ryobi impact driver, your hands keep on working without a single rest session. At 50 bucks, the drill is a fantastic deal with numerous things, including bit changing (tool-free) and 1600 inch-pounds of energy.
9. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver Kit
Favorite brand DEWALT? Are you thinking of owning a kit of impact drivers? DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver Kit should be the one you go for. The drill that you get with the package is compact and takes 1 inch bit tips. The precision drive is present as well for extra control of an application.
- Gives full control of speed to the user through 3-speed settings with precision drive
- Features a top-notch LED light to target the subject clearer than ever
- Runs by a high-end brushless motor exclusively built by DEWALT
- Powered by lithium-ion 20V Max XR DEWALT battery that has a fantastic lifespan
What we like
- The motor and battery both are optimized by DEWALT to ensure maximum productivity as well as efficiency. You can complete a bunch of bolt and fastener tasks with the machine. However, after a long session of the job, your tool will still have the energy to do more because of outstanding optimization.
- Furthermore, there are loads of additional useful features of the impact driver. LED light, three types of speed settings, and compact design will prove to be unbelievable value for your money.
What we don’t like
- A few users claimed the product to be not a reliable or durable one. The performance is never an issue for this DEWALT kit, but several buyers received a defective item.
- The battery of the driver has sufficient energy not to run out during a work session. Plenty of torques are there for doing almost every home fastening job. According to most user feedback, the kit is also a recommendable item for durable use.
10. Milwaukee 2656-20 M18 18V 1/4 Inch Lithium Ion Hex Impact Driver
Milwaukee 2656-20 M18 18V 1/4 Inch Lithium Ion Hex Impact Driver is a product from the manufacturer that comes with an impressive Hitech called redlink technology. It lessens the chances of overheating inside the machine. Moreover, the speed trigger of the driver is capable of creating 3450 impacts every minute.
- Compatible with M18 battery lineup including 48-11-1820 and 48-11-1840
- Comes with a motor which is capable of giving 3450 impacts every minute
- Features a perfectly positioned LED lighting array to help you see in the dark and narrow spaces
- Removes the underhood engine cover and under-car splash shield with ease
What we like
- Using the impact driver is not an uncomfortable task anymore, not even when you drill for a while. The Milwaukee driver has a textured rubber grip for better handling than before. Even when you’re facing slippery situations, the compact grip won't let you face a single issue.
- Moreover, the driver contains a lot of much-needed features like variable speed trigger, LED lighting, redlink technology, and a long list of compatible batteries.
What we don’t like
- The LED light doesn't function how it should. The light won't turn off even after finishing a particular fastening job. The only method to turn the light off is to remove the battery.
- Though the product has a little significant expense, the item is not overpriced, considering its features and quality. It features a comfy textured handle for long term use. Furthermore, useful things like LED lighting systems and speed triggers are present in the tool. Overall, the qualities of the power tool justified the cost.
What Is Impact Driver
The impact driver is one of the popular power and home improvement tools. These tools tend to carry a high amount of torque. It creates a rotational force that can drive large bolts and screws. For tightening nuts, impact drivers are useful too. Pulling up on the sleeve of the chuck will let you insert the impact bit. The chuck is dedicated to ¼ inch hex shank only. The weight of an impact driver is light to carry around. The impact driver is doing its respective jobs swiftly because of the excessive torque. The action of hammering in the impact driver removes any stubborn fastener quicker than other tools.
How Does Impact Driver Work?
The impact driver has a certain job that is done by the cost of loads of torque every time. A hammer is present in the impact driver. It provides superior rotational force by the aid of torque. The action keeps happening until the user is done finishing his project. The amount of energy an impact driver can build is impossible to create for a drill. This is the reason why people are eager to get impact drivers rather than drill for particular tasks. An impact driver tends to make a hundred times more violent action than a drill as it is meant to drive bolts.
Impact Driver Vs Drill
The engineering of the impact driver is done, keeping in mind that it is going to drive fasteners. The combination of a powerful rotational strike and high torque help to get success in that cause. Below there are pluses and minuses of the impact driver.
Advantages of Impact Driver
1. Impact drivers are perfect for portability. They get a warm welcome by your wrist because of the compact structure and lightweight.
2. These drivers don't recoil or shake or even kickback when you’re working with them. There won't be a single resistance that will make you lose control of the machine.
3. Impact tools are five times more potent than drill can ever be. The high torque of the device makes the cumbersome driving procedure easier than before.
Disadvantages of Impact Driver
1. You must arrange impact bits separately to use in the impact driver. Drill bits won't run as expected with an impact driver.
2. Impact driver won't be able to drill holes. Thereby if you are aiming to make a couple of holes on hard objects, an impact driver is not the one for you.
A drill is used explicitly for making various sizes of holes into soft and hard materials like wood. The mechanism of drill supplies spinning action to a bit. Then it drills holes and even works to drive screws as well. A drill is known as a multipurpose home improvement and power tool.
Advantages of Drill
1. Drill contains keyless chuck, which means it may hold driver bits and drill bits. If there are some other bits, the drill will be capable of using that too.
2. Drill also has a slip clutch. It’s one of those things that an impact driver lacks. The slip clutch aids the user in controlling the torque accordingly.
3. These power tools are multipurpose. As a result, you can buy only one drill to do jobs like home improvement, woodworking, and assembling furniture.
Disadvantages of Drill
1. The drill driver is going to kick back a bunch of times. When the resistance goes to a high level, the motor will fail to turn the drill bit. As a consequence, the mechanical force reaches the body. Thus it might strain your hands.
2. Drill drivers are heavy as they have three jawed chucks as well as a battery having high voltage.
Impact Driver Guide for Buying the Right Product
Perhaps the most significant factor of an impact driver is the torque. It refers to the rotational force of your machine. An impact driver contains more torque than other power tools for fastening jobs. Make sure your driver has sufficient torque according to your requirements.
Impact driver batteries are 12V and 18V commonly. 18V battery can supply high inch-pounds of torque, but it is heavy. Consequently, it will be a little tough to carry the machine. 12V batteries are lightweight.
While purchasing impact drivers, don't forget to know about the recharge time. Many companies use lithium-ion batteries. Only a few of them offer fast recharging technology. Buying a quick recharge product will reduce downtime.
Per Minute Impact
Impact per minute is the number of times the hammer is striking the drive every minute. Depending on your work, you have to fix a specific number of per-minute impact. Remember, the output enhances as the value increases.
Impact Driver Sizes
The size of the drive is responsible for setting accessories that users may use with the tool. The familiar drive size is ¼ inches. Using regular add-ons with an impact driver is not the right choice. Therefore, the drive size is essential.
If your priority is to ensure portability, you don't want to get a heavyweight impact driver. Power comes at the cost of lightweight. For this reason, you have to determine the demand for your work to get a decent weight impact driver.
Two kinds of motors are present inside of impact drivers nowadays. One is the brushed motor, and another one is the brushless motor. In terms of efficiency, maintenance, and heat reduction, brushless one is better. A brushed motor can be attained at a lower price.
Speed refers to the motor speed and its adjustment. The majority of impact driving tools contain three modes of variable speed.
Attachments are vital to get the most out of your impact drivers. Look out for impact drivers with the capability of attaching accessories like clutch tip holder and drill chuck.
It is useful when the purchaser is required to climb a ladder. You don't want to miss the opportunity of having an ambidextrous belt clip. For both right and left-handed people, the clip belt is suitable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does impact driver do?
Impact drivers are power tools, and they possess a rotational force that is delivered to loosen bolts. In certain situations, you have no option but to take assistance from impact drivers.
How impact driver works?
Impact drivers are capable of detecting the right time to supply torque. It makes rotational force with a hammer, spring, and anvil. When the motor turns to a shaft, the spring drives against the anvil by the hammer.
What impact driver is the best?
Loads of impact drivers are available at present on the power tool and home improvement market. Among them, Black & Decker, DEWALT, Makita, Milwaukee, and Ryobi offer the top rated impact drivers.
Why use impact driver?/what is impact driver used for?
Plenty of valid reasons are there indeed for purchasing the impact driver instead of other drill tools. These are lightweight, can provide extraordinary force, and features a high amount of torque.
What size impact driver for lug nuts?
Lug nuts can be modified by impact drivers with ease. However, you require the specific size of the driver for lug nuts. ½ inch impact tools are the best for this job. ⅜ inch impact drivers will be suitable as well.
Which impact driver is best?
Currently, BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Impact Driver Kit is top on the list with countless positive feedback from purchasers. It’s one of those versatile impact drivers.
Can impact driver drill holes?
Yes, impact drivers may drill holes when the object is softwood or similar materials. The condition is, you will have to use a regular hex-shank drill bit, and the hole won't be a large one.
Can impact driver drill concrete/will impact driver drill into concrete?
The objective of an impact driver is to drive into materials. It may succeed in drilling a small hole in the concrete, but it is not recommended by any power tool expert. A rotary hammer is an appropriate tool to go with in that scenario.
Which Dewalt impact driver is best?
Every impact driver from DEWALT has acquired quite a lot of decent reviews from buyers. However, their most sold and arguably the best impact driver dewalt is DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Driver.
Can impact driver remove lug nuts/Will impact driver remove lug nuts?
Yes, of course, you can remove lug nuts through impact drivers. All you need to do is to ensure your impact driver tool contains ample torque compared to the torque of nuts.
What size impact driver do i need?
Impact driver is meant to complete some particular tasks. In most of the standard jobs, 1/4 and 3/8 inch impact tools quite suitable items.
How much torque does an impact driver have?
1500 to 1800 in-lb range is the ideal torque in major situations. 95% of the screwing jobs will be covered through this amount of torque in impact drivers.
Which impact driver has the most torque?
At present, Ridgid R86035 GEN5X Impact Driver has the most torque of all, which is 2000 inch/lbs. If your priority is high torque, then this has to be the one to buy.
Where to buy impact driver?
Impact drivers are available at both online and offline shops. Ordering online is easy, and you get free home delivery should you are fortunate enough. You can get your desired power tool impact drivers from Amazon or Home Depot.
How to use impact driver with sockets?
To use impact drivers with sockets, you must manage the impact socket. It works fine with the impact drivers as it is passed through heat treatment for low hardness.
Which impact driver should i buy/which impact driver to buy?
You can get the most popular impact drivers and most selling products in the above list. Choose from one of them, which meets the purpose of your work.
Are impact driver bits different?
Yes, impact driver bits are different compared to regular and manual impact driver bits. Impact bits have larger stress areas and are more flexible than standard bits.
Which Makita impact driver is the best?
Makita is one of the renowned brands of impact drivers. Makita CT225R 18V LXT is the best impact driver from the company considering the amount of sell and fantastic quality.
Can impact driver bits be used in a drill?
A drill is specifically designed for creating a hole through dedicated drill bits. On the other side, impact driver bits are for supplying the pressure to the other end. Thereupon these two components are different.
Which impact driver is cheap?
Milwaukee 2462-20 M12 is one of the cheapest impact drivers. However, the cheap price didn't cost the quality of this driver. It’s one of the best Milwaukee impact drivers available now.
What impact driver used for?
An impact driver can produce a high amount of torque that is utilized to tighten nuts or driving bolts. Maximum torque and pacey rotational strike accomplish these jobs accurately.
What impact driver should i buy?
Following your demand and budget, you have to go for an impact driver. Go through the above buying guides for a clear idea. Certains points are given for aiding people to choose the right impact drill from the market.
Can impact driver be used as a drill?
It may do a little work of a drill, but it cannot be used as a drill. Both of these power tools have different purposes. However, making small holes is possible when you’re applying the force on a light-gauge wood.
Can impact driver be used for concrete?
Concrete is mostly a hard material. As a result, the impact driver may not create sufficient force to use for concrete. Rotary hammers are perfect for a job that includes concrete.
Can impact driver replace drill?
Impact drivers can only replace drills when you require to drive screws and bolts instead of drilling holes. A drill is never a suitable tool for driving jobs.
When not to use an impact driver?
An impact driver is not for situations where you must drill holes to proceed to the next steps of the task. That’s the appropriate moment to bring out the drill machine.
A drill can serve various purposes, including loosening or tightening screws. However, drills are going to fail over and over again to remove a stubborn bolt. Precisely that is the moment when the best impact driver is the king. It is powered by more torque than a drill. The rotational force pressurizes the hammer to detach even a fastener that was staying at its uninvited place for a long time. You need to make sure you obtain the best impact machine that meets every demand of your particular job. Above cordless impact driver reviews of top 10 impact drivers are surely aid you in doing so.